About me

posted in: Front Page | 7

My name is Cally Booker and I am a handweaver living and working in Dundee on the east coast of Scotland.

I design and make one-off scarves, wraps and other textiles in my studio on the top floor of Meadow Mill. The fibres I use include merino wool, silk, cotton, bamboo and cashmere, and my speciality is combining fibres and colours for rich visual and textural effects.

My inspiration ranges from the art of Paul Klee, through the stained glass windows of Dundee’s Cathedral Church of St Paul, to the graffiti in the skatepark. Every textile I create is unique, and I am happy to accept commissions.

Since completing an HNC in Handwoven Textile Design at Bradford School of Arts and Media in 2007 I have kept a blog of my weaving life: you can read the latest entries here.

I have also contributed articles to the Complex Weavers Journal, WeaveZine and WeaveCast.  From 2008 to 2013 I served on the Editorial Committee of the Journal for Weavers, Spinners and Dyers, including time as Weaving Features Editor in 2009-11 and as Chair in 2011-12.

1. Linda LaMay

Thanks for sharing this picture- the floor does look great, as do your cabinets as well- lots of new ideas.

2. Carol

Yes, thanks for posting the picture of your floor. I would love to see a close up. Actually, we just ordered the laminate flooring yesterday. It looks like old pine planking and has a life time warranty. Any chance you could take and post more pictures of your studio? Showing lighting, storage and if you do anything to prevent your looms from “walking”. Thanks again!

Hi Linda, hi Carol. Thanks – I do love my studio! To be honest, though, there’s not much more to it than you can see here, except for a long table to the right which is covered in all my clutter… I’m planning to expand my storage a bit so I’ll try and do before and after pics. My looms both have little rubber feet and don’t seem at all inclined to walk (unlike, say, my washing machine, which is forever trying to break out of its cupboard). The feet can leave rubbery marks on the floor but these come off easily enough – I use a brillo pad very, very lightly. Lino is extremely forgiving!

4. Meg

Gee, I just LOVE the thumbnail pic for the About Me section!

I think it shows my best side! 8-)

5. ColleenTauke

Cally, I’m contacting you about a quilt image I think you may have posted on Sept. 20, 2008 of an antique wagon wheel quilt. I’m trying to track the origin of the image. Owner, creator, was it in a show or displayed in a museum? Anything you can provide would be great. I realize it was posted quite a while ago….thanks Colleen

I’m afraid I don’t have any information beyond what I put in my original posts here and here. I can only suggest contacting the gallery to see whether they can provide any more detail. Sorry about that!