paint is not my medium

It really, really isn’t. I can’t tell you how glad I am that the studio floor is finished. Stuart and I have been down there every evening since time began, and again this afternoon to remove the last batch of masking tape. Here is the hero of the week…

…and here’s the room he’s looking at.

The shelves do make it tricky to get a photograph of the space overall. Basically the idea is to have the looms on the right hand side, where the larger window is, while the left hand side will be a storage and design area.

Since I won’t be taking the dining table with me (no, I really won’t) the one piece of furniture I needed was a work table. My new neighbour, Mhairi Wild, pointed me across the street to the Tayside Recyclers office furniture warehouse: what a treasure trove of bargains! I very restrainedly stuck to my brief and only purchased this large desk. The shelves are designed so that each section faces alternate directions — hence the need to keep the unit in the middle of the room — and I’ve put my table against one of the “backs” so that I can use it as a design wall. Just as soon as I’ve nagged S into putting up some coat hooks for that pile of jackets!

This post is looking distinctly monochrome, so here’s a random picture of some of the finished twill medley scarves. I’m calling this collection The Colour Bazaar.

Actually, before I go, here’s another dose of grey and white but with added yellow. Not in the studio, but on the patio. We love having tubs of daisies by the front door in the summer — they just make you smile, don’t they? — and they are brilliant for flowering again and again over several months. Not this year, though. This year they sulked in invisible silence all through the wetness of July (can’t blame them for that) and now, suddenly, they have let rip and we are getting a whole summer’s worth of daisyness all at once. Fabulous.

paint is not my medium” was posted by Cally on 17 August 2012 at http://callybooker.co.uk

Oh, S most definitely has that look, doesn’t he! It’s so exciting watching a new and clean studio – even if it’s a vicarious joy while I continue my slow stash reduction. :-)

I wonder if I should got get two daisies since spring is most definitely here now.

You and Stuart are making great progress! You will be weaving in the new space in no time. I think your daisies have the same purpose in life as our poppies – to make smiles.

3. Dot

Very exciting! I’d love to have that much space to get my yarn stash out where I can see it. I do like the light from that big window in the loom area.

I’m very pleased with the windows! I had been a bit worried about the light as all the north and east facing rooms had gone and so I was necessarily going to have a south facing room. Dundee is very sunny and up on the fourth floor of the mill it is very bright indeed. I was concerned about having to hide my yarn away to protect it from fading, but this arrangement is perfect. I have the big window on the “loom side” but the “stash side” is much less exposed. The glass in both windows is frosted too – no view, of course, but it has a wonderful effect on the light!

4. Charlotte Engstad

Congratulations! Your new space looks great!

5. Margreet

You have both worked hard to get this far. Very exciting all.
    Love the daisy’s too. I’ve had the same problem, your’s look far better than mine!
    Looking forward to seeing the looms + stash in your studio :-)

6. Geodyne

Wow, I’ve definitely been away too long. This is the first I’ve read about a studio! I”m so excited for you. I do hope it works out for you.

Especially with Open Studios coming up! I presume you’ll hold that there now?

Actually the Open Studios isn’t in *my* studio at all, but my mother’s. I’m going to be her “guest artist” for the week… There will doubtless be future openness in the new studio, though!

7. Ange Sewell

Only just seen this post. Congratulations on getting your studio and hope the opening goes well at the end of the week.