just wondering

Catching up on some blog reading, I am intrigued by this art of the day object from the Met:

The description of this Nigerian wall hanging explains how the weavers of the Niger region, with their strip-weaving tradition, went to great lengths to apply this technique to patterns of North African origin. But I’d love to know whether the “odd one out” about two-fifths of the way down was deliberate or not. The effect of the one mismatched motif is — to my eyes — rather charming… but was the weaver quite as delighted with it as I am, I wonder?

just wondering” was posted by Cally on 5 Aug 2010 at http://callybooker.wordpress.com

1. Trevor Mill

That wall art has made me smile ā€“ I love the shape and colour.

Talking of things that make me smile
    I saw an exhibition of these once and now I own one

2. Alison

Interesting – the thing that I noticed more was the ‘dye lot’ issue between the strips. Another thing that I found charming, but the maker may have been less than thrilled by. I had to go back to spot the pattern mismatch.

It’s lovely, though. šŸ™‚

3. margery

My mom always said one should add one imperfection to each piece, in order to show it’s handmade. This piece is beautiful!

4. Alexis

could it be that like alot of slavic crafts you purposefully make an error to remind yourself that only God makes things perfect? I seem to recall that Iranian carpet weavers to the same thing.

5. Peg in South Carolina

Callly, your post on Koehler refuses to come up from Bloglines…..i.e., I want to read it on your blog, but it says the url no longer exists.

Sorry Peg – I have taken it down temporarily, and I didn’t realise bloglines would still show it! Should have thought of that as there is always a bit of a time lag. Will re-post shortly.

6. annmarie

it does seems like an unintentional bit of weaving, given that the piece is put together in strips, but I’ll admit that I had to study the piece for a minute or two before I found the ‘odd one out’!