Evaluation time

I have failed in my mission to get decent photos of the blue-gold saint sample, in spite of Stuart’s climbing up a ladder to suspend it against an empty bit of wall. Because of the effort involved, I feel obliged to show you one of the photos, even though it is far too dark.

Here is the whole (dark) sample, turned sideways for economy.

Since the photos didn’t come out well, I have been trying to scan it in instead. I tried a sequence of different shapes in the treadling, including some reflections and rotations and I also tried several different wefts in various shades of blue and in a variety of fibres and thicknesses. My favourite is the fine silk shown here:

This rather surprised me as I thought I would prefer a thicker weft, like this cotton:

The best part about scanning the cloth is that you can zoom right in. Here are close-ups of those two wefts, side by side for comparison (you can click to embiggen even further).

I’m not going to make up my mind immediately but the smoother finish of the fine silk is definitely current favourite. I also have my favourites from the different combinations of blue-against-blue layers that I tried, such as the bright blue against the violet blue in the inch or so to the left of the broad yellow band.

The tooty frooty scarf is also finished and my mind is already made up on that one: I don’t like it. This is mainly because of what happened in the finishing. I managed to shrink the scarf a little more than the sample and, against the reduced background, the floats got that bit more scrambled — and are also more dominant.

First, the scarf overall,

and then a close-up of those messy floats.

I know they are not really that offensive, it is just that they are not what I imagined after sampling. So it is all about my expectations not being realised and not about evaluating the cloth on its own merits. It needs to go and live in a drawer for a little while, I think, and then I will look at it again.

In related news, I have new yarns to play with and more are on their way. This is not helping me decide what step to take next! I need to plan more sampling for the other saints…

evaluation time” was posted by Cally on 5 March 2011 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Laura

I think a darker background might make a difference? Not that you can change the current scarf, but should you revisit the concept?

2. Rachel

Oh wow, I love that scarf. It’s a very unique and distinct look, at least nothing I have seen before. Love it!

On the blue and gold piece, the finer silk weft allows the warp to be the star of the show, which is as it should be. On the floats, I like ’em! there’s a nice organic look to floats that have a mind of their own. I wove many scarves with big blocks of plainweave and floats that created multiple layers, and after wet-finishing in the washing machine, I pressed them dry under a press cloth. That way, I couldn’t see (or control) what was going on under the press cloth but had to accept whatever the yarn wanted to give me. I welcome surprises!

I also like the finer weft as it doesn’t compete with the warp. On the tooty frooty scarf I love the effect, but not the colours so much.

5. Pat Foster

I wouldn’t worry about the floats if I were you. I have done something similar and even after being worn for a year or two, the floats have not snagged, got more obtrusive. It is probably your expectations but all weaving is a surprise when it is finished anyway. As you suggest, put it in a drawer for three months. And if you still hate it, I’ll take it off your hands happily

I really love the overall effect of the blue and gold. It’s art. I would hang it on a wall and adore it daily. I’m with Evelyn about the Tooty Frooty – love the effect, and the colors could be bolder. Nevertheless, it’s still cool. Can’t wait to see what you do with your new yarn!

agree w. sandra on the warps being the star of the show.
    re floats: there are taliban weavers who would consider anything longer than 3 warps a tsk,tsk if you know what i mean 😉 or a huge mistake.
    i not being one of them think your scarf can be worn without problems. and with tons of pride.
    ps if you send me a file of the photo i can ding w. it and explain what i did to it so you can reproduce it. photoshop is a friend 🙂

8. Amy

I’m with the others. I think the floats on Tooty Frooty are just fine…and quite fun, actually. I wonder if time will let the disappointment fade for you. Sometimes I think I don’t like something because it’s now what I had hoped/planned/expected, but after that disappointment fades, I find that I do like it afterall.