One of the most challenging things I have found with parallel threadings is that they are an absolute @*%%?! to fix if you make a mistake. I am pretty good at threading accurately first time around — though I have my moments of course — and with the dobby loom it is rare to get a pick in completely the wrong place. There is one little trick with the Megado sometimes plays on me: if the cords holding the shafts happen to pop out of their little grooves then sometimes a shaft will fail to return to its proper place. It stays lifted by only a few mm, but it is enough that on the next lift it gets carried up and I have too many shafts raised.
Fortunately, now that I am wise to this game, I can also spot it fairly easily, but there have been occasions when I have missed it. And of course the incorrect pick — which was invisible on the loom — is like a flashing neon light in the middle of the cloth once it is off the loom. I have experience, therefore, of sitting down with a needle and thread to try and effect a repair, and I have never succeeded in doing it. The ins and outs in the densely packed warp are very difficult to do, even if you don’t much care where the weft goes — and of course I do care which is why I am grappling with it.
Anyway, that’s by-the-way. I’m just setting the scene of frustration and slightly crazed eyes so you know how much I dread such a discovery.
On Saturday I reached a bit of warp with a dodgy thread in it — it was knotted and near to the knot the thread was rather fluffy, so that it looked as though it might pull apart. I added a new warp end, wove a few inches and cut off the dodgy one in order to avert calamity. About six inches later I needed to remove the pin holding the new warp end so that the cloth could pass under the cover on the breast beam. About four inches after that, the whole warp end fell out. Yup, it just slid to the floor at the back of the loom. Rude words were said. The weaver cursed her yarns, her loom and finally herself for adding too much weight to a slippery silk thread. Then she decided to call it a day and make dinner instead.
Yesterday I reattached the new warp just behind (or is it in front of?) the fell of the cloth, added the very lightest of light weights at the back, and started again. I left a very long tail at the pin, as I can’t see what else I can do but weave it in later, once the cloth is off the loom. But I am still thinking very rude words. Here’s a picture of the long-tailed addition and the gap where it did ought to be. Just in case it doesn’t appear in flashing neon to you, I have added a yellow arrow, compounding my mortification.
My fervent hope is that stitching warpwise will be easier than weftwise, since at least there is only one weft and it is nice and spacious.
In between the slipping and the reattaching, we did find time for a little de-stress excursion to a nearby country park. We sat by the loch and watched the water. Then I tried videoing the water. OK, it is small and blurry, but if you’d like to spend three minutes doing nothing, then here is three minutes of nothing for you to do. Two highlights: a dog, out of sight but audibly panting right at the start, and there is a brief flurry at about 2 mins and 35 seconds, when a duck flies across the picture from right to left. Hope that isn’t too much excitement.