Today is P2P2 Big Reveal Day so it is time for a worldwide round of applause and appreciation for Meg, who has organised the whole thing with tremendous generosity and grace. I have not only enjoyed my own project, but have been avidly following the progress of the other participants.
My set of pictures came from Meg. Here’s a reminder of the first one I chose to work with (you can see the whole set here if you want a refresher).
My reason for choosing this one was that I liked it the least. I didn’t like the colours and I didn’t like the busy bittiness of the image. However, I decided to embrace those characteristics and use them to weave something appropriate to the theme: a hand towel. (Well, I couldn’t face the thought of a bath towel, but it did need to be a towel for people rather than dishes.)
I’ve said more than enough about Brighton Honeycomb already, so let’s not dwelll on the technicalities (except to note that the hopsack welt worked well on my sample piece, but scaled up to a full size towel it ended up being a smidgeon too wide — something to record here so I’ll remember next time).
Here’s the towel, posing with its picture source.
Here’s a close-up of the weave structure, which is surprisingly animated.
And here it is on duty. Our cloakroom has no natural light, and I reckon that helps to improve the colour of the towel.
In fact I wove two identical towels, and the twin of this one is currently en route to Nelson, New Zealand as a thank you gift to Meg — though I can’t help feeling there is something rather barbed about sending a gift when you have publicly declared that you don’t much like it! It isn’t really like that, though: the work that I’ve done with the image and the yarns means that the result is something I am quite pleased with, even though I’m still not very keen on the original picture.
Having got myself a bit bogged down in my official P2P2 project, I also embarked on a second project which was inspired by my favourite image in the collection. This one, of a sculpture by Niki de Saint Phalle.
In this case I didn’t spend any time planning, I just took some yarn to the warping board and got ready to weave my favourite triangles. I used such a mish-mosh of fibres that I was prepared for all sorts of weirdness when it was finished. However, the result was a more-or-less flat piece of cloth — flat enough, at least, to be used in small pieces to make a messenger bag. Here’s the result.
In fact the body of the bag is a black cotton drill and only the flap features the handwoven fabric. To make it robust enough I used a base of the cotton drill and handstitched two pieces of the coloured fabric side by side onto it. Then I just continued using it in the pattern (which is from this amazing book). I wove the strap in warp-faced plain weave and my selvedges are RUBBISH. But the colours are nice. Oh, and the lining is red.
I’ve included links above to some of my earlier posts on these projects, but you can see them all here or by clicking P2P2 in the tag cloud on the right. More interesting, though, if you go here you can see what everyone else has done.