where does inspiration go?

Yesterday I was writing an artist’s statement — something which always give me the heebie-jeebies — and as I was doing so a thought occurred to me.

My thought is that I generally make better progress with my weaving if I don’t say too much about the inspiration and design process. This is rather unfortunate in a blogger, but I then thought that perhaps my first thought is not entirely true… After all, I documented my P2P2 project and saw it through to the end. Although looking back at those posts, I see that I skated over the design steps somewhat. And I said quite a lot about my Adinkra-inspired yardage — after I had finished it.

What motivated the thought, however, was a painful awareness of cases where I tried to document what I was thinking and ended up shelving the whole project. Why does that happen? It’s as if the talking about it displaces the need to do anything about it, unless the plan is sufficiently advanced to have picked up a critical momentum or there are external factors also at work (like a deadline, for instance).

My natural inclination in most circumstances is to be quite secretive about my ideas until they are realised. I prefer to take my own time and not to answer questions which don’t come from inside myself. With regard to weaving, once I get to the stage of developing a draft and planning a warp, then in general the project seems to be sufficiently well incubated to be able to survive outdoors. So I’ll just show you this, and say nothing more about it!

longitude inspiration

where does inspiration go?” was posted by Cally on 18 Oct 2011 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Laura

Saw a short video where the presenter was showing stats about people who talked about what they were doing, and those who didn’t. those who talked were less likely to actually *do* than those who didn’t. So your inclination seems spot on. 🙂
    cheers,
    Laura

If you need to write an artist statement, use this website as a helper:
    You input some random arty gobbledygook words, and it spits out a really spiffy art statement for you. Give it a try!

Sandra’s website is wonderful.
    “Meg Nakagawa’s work investigates the nuances of modulations through the use of slow motion and close-ups which emphasize the Symbiotic nature of digital media. Nakagawa explores abstract and intricate scenery as motifs to describe the idea of cyber-intuitive artifice. Using fine loops, non-linear narratives, and slow-motion images as patterns, Nakagawa creates meditative environments which suggest the expansion of culture…”

I use fine loops, Cally.

That’s brilliant. I get “Booker explores abstract and differential scenery as motifs to describe the idea of imaginary reality” among other gems.

My own statement just says “I like weaving”.

I think as I talk, and as I type. Cloudy ideas become clearer to me, sometimes, via words, even defending my choices. But then I spent a lot of time being a voyeur of Socrates and boys, so there is a touch of the old familiar.

5. Trapunto

This is very familiar to me.

BTW, a friend (a really wonderful weaver) says that writing this sort of stuff is all she learned in her MFA (Masters of Fine Art) advanced degree program. She went into the program as an “I like weaving” person, and came out as an “Ulla explores abstract and differential scenery…yada yada” person. Her favorite art project in the program was a video of her spinning, which showed the wheel going round and round (and probably her foot and knee in the background) for 5 minutes. She got an “A” on that one; the tutor loved it. Which validated my decision to eschew the advanced degree path.

I’m so glad you shared that story. I’ve gone from ready-to-fling-my-laptop-out-of-the-window rage to giggles in the time it took me to read your comment. Now I am fortified to recommence battle with recalcitrant hardware.

Such a familiar feelng when in the writing process. All inspiration seems to sit on the paper and leave me. Love the website – Oldroyd creates meditative environments which suggest the expansion of time…

what can you say about a culture that gets more impresses w. lingo( and i don’t mean the weaving lingoes) than with the work itself?

. rivera explores abstract and intimate scenery as motifs to describe the idea of infinite reality. Using mundane loops, non-linear narratives, and allegorical images as patterns, rivera creates meditative environments which suggest the expansion of culture…

whaddayaknow????

The silence doesn’t surprise me a bit. Projects are very fragile in their initial stages, and talking about it too soon can spoil everything. No idea why.

Oh, God. Artist’s statements. If I see one more that implies the artist is “inspired by nature” I may scream. That website is hilarious.