weird fabric

More weave-spotting here, although I am not sure it is actually weave. Once a month I go to a Tai Chi workshop in a local church hall, and like all good church halls this one has all kinds of miscellany lurking in its corners. I hadn’t noticed this item before, though: a large something-or-other covered with an old curtain…

(Sorry about the dark image, I only had my phone with me.)

I was very taken with the appearance of the dark pattern threads so I peered a bit closer.

Is it just me, or would you say that was twined? I would love to have dragged the curtain into better light for a proper look, but I didn’t see it until the class was finished and the hall was being closed up. In the meantime, what are your expert opinions?

My sock-knitting is not so far a triumph. I think I am going to start again (again). All good practice. And in case you were wondering about my double weave project, my extra heddles are on back order: I’m hoping for a parcel next week.

weird fabric” was posted by Cally on 20 Nov 2011 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Laura

Looks like leno, possibly.
    cheers,
    Laura

Yes, of course, that could be it. Thanks, Laura. I’m going to try and get a closer look next time!

2. Kerstin

To me it looks like what we call (translated word-for-word) knotted and threaded lace. Here is a picture (http://digitaltmuseum.se/things/thing/S-UM/UM39551/image/31231 ) – unfortunately it can’t be enlaged enough.
    Anyway – the idea is that you first knot a net (not like a fish-net; the mesh should be “straight”), then you use needle and thread, often in contrasting colour, and “embroider” a pattern. The “embroidery” in not any old embroidery stitch, the pattern is just “threaded” with the occasional knot to keep it in place.

– hm – looking again: no, the base does not look knotted. The pattern could still be done the same way, though 🙂

3. marion berkhout

Looks like knitting to me.

4. marion berkhout

No, it doesn’t.
    I don’t know……..

5. Alison Daykin

Looks like twining to me, have seen something similar (a bag I bought in Norwary) in the late 60’s, early 70’s, but don’t have the bag now, so can’t say.
    Another useless bit of information!

Whatever it is, I like the effect. Isn’t it nice to be one of the people who notices these things?

7. Trapunto

I have no idea, and I am here in your comments section because I was really curious what your other readers might say! Interesting. My only thought is that whatever method is used, they must have had machines that could do it years ago; it looks like quite a big, wide piece.