a day in the life of looms

This is my post for A Day in the Life of Looms 2012 which is being organised by Meg. Last year my looms looked like this.

Today, 1st January 2012, at 4.45pm my looms look like this:

The only loom with anything on it is the Megado, where I am continuing to weave my double weave study group project. Just for a change, here’s a back view.

The Delta is empty, but if you peak through the shafts you can see a skein hanging over the back beam – that’s part of a plan for what I think I’ll weave on it next. But you never know.

Everything else is back in the cupboard under the stairs, exactly where it was last year (although I promise it hasn’t been there all year – the table looms did get an outing in the summer). A spare duvet has recently been added on top of the heap, and the tell-tale dent on the right indicates that Phoebus has already discovered this.

I don’t know what the looms make of it, but I am not feeling tremendously excited or optimistic about the New Year. In fact I mainly feel stressed and anxious about the quantity of work that I have to get through and the imminent cessation of my main source of income, my university scholarship. I’m simultaneously out of time, out of funds and out of energy. Bleh. I’d like to think this means that 2012 can only exceed my expectations, but to assert that would simply be asking for trouble! I am just going to take it one day at a time — which is about the pace years usually go, I find…

a day in the life of looms” was posted by Cally on 1 Jan 2012 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Michelle

Cally. Thank you for sharing your looms. It is difficult to read that you have issues, especially as I always think the start of a new year brings hope. So I wish for you a better year than you are expecting, and hope you can prioritise what really matters to you.
    Many many best wishes,
    Michelle

2. Kyla

Oh my, your looms are beautiful! I’m placing my order this week for my warp board, shuttles and the rest of the toys. I want to get that bad boy warped in the next couple of weeks! You’ve helped add fuel to the fire 😉

Cally, just believe everything will work out and it will. I don’t know exactly when you found my blog, but I’m sure that you’ve seen the ups and downs that was involved with returning to school and all that fun stuff. I don’t know how the heck I’m going to survive either, but I’ve just stopped asking questions. It WILL work out for both of us! And 2012 is going to be the best one yet!

Okay, that view from the back has me just panting to see the woven cloth for your double-weave study group. Please post pictures – from the front, and when the cloth’s off the loom. Pretty please?

But of course! Though it is really not as exciting as all that. I kind of like the back view…

Thanks for the good wishes, Michelle & Kyla. I’m sure it is going to be a better year than I expect, if only because my expectations are so low! But seriously, I’ll settle for a year in which nobody suddenly drops dead. That would be nice. And the rest I’ll take as it comes, with lots of weaving for good measure.

Lovely looms, tidy house!! And it sounds like the year can only get better from here on, Cally! Let it be colorful, texturally exhilarating and uplifting to you and S!

6. Ozweaver

Cally, I’m certain that you will weave some beautiful projects in 2012. As for what else life might bring, I hope it will be delightful. Change is hard, even when it’s good change… Good luck!

7. Trapunto

Sounds difficult to look ahead to the end of the scholarship–like having a job you know you’re going to get fired from, and when, but which you can’t leave in the meantime. The New Year doesn’t have to be a time for optimism and I appreciate the honesty of your sentiments–for me is the one holiday I get to mark without feeling any obligation to celebrate. Your doubleweave warp is lovely and inspiring, and your cats are ever-cute!

you’re putting me to shame as i haven’t done anything for the study group :(( will end up being kicked out) your warp is so lovely it made my heart skip a beat.
    hang in there. this year is going to be difficult for all as the chinese horoscope says it’s the year of the dragon.
    sorry for not being optimistic, but on the other hand we’re survivors.

There is light at the end of the dissertation tunnel. You’ll find your way through, one word, one page, one day at a time.