a warp and a plan

Or a plan and a warp… The plan, which is steadily evolving from my mood board, currently entails a medley of twills. I’m using 16 shafts, but dividing them into two groups of four and one of eight for my threading and tie-up.

The warp looks like this:

No idea whether this will be a joyful riot of colour and pattern or a dog’s breakfast. I’m hoping for the former, but have plenty of yarn to play with if it doesn’t work out.

a warp and a plan” was posted by Cally on 2 Feb 2012 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Geodyne

It’s looking good so far, Cally! I guess it’s going to come down to the weft to bring it all together.

Ooh! Looks good! I’d sample with each of the warp colors, and see which you like. Nice draft!

3. Michelle

This is so promising, can’t wait to see the end result. It reminds me of the waistcoat in the twill thrills book. What might you do with the fabric when finished?

lovely lovely warp and very cool draft.

5. Bonnie Inouye

This looks like fun. I would test weft colors not present in the warp. Also I would play with the three tie-up choices. As shown, all three are balanced, which makes front and back faces of the cloth quite similar. Any of these three could be changed to show more warp on one face. You could have more of one warp on the front face in selected areas, more of a different warp on the back in other areas. I hope it is a long warp!

Not sure I have quite enough warp for *all* those options! But I do have plenty of yarn and want to try two or three related warps, so there should be room for lots of experimentation. The plan for this particular warp is to do a bit of sampling and then have enough for two scarves.