It’s a while since I used gold thread in a warp. Much as I love the way it looks, it is awkward stuff to handle: all springy and unruly! (The gold thread I used as a supplementary warp in this was a particularly vivid nightmare and has been reclassified as Strictly Weft From Now On.) For this warp I am using Random Find In The Dresser Drawer — I think my mother gave it to me a while back, but I haven’t tried it yet. I may be a bit bonkers to choose it for the tie-down warp in my first unsupervised Theo Moorman experiment, but it is so pretty and shiny…
To date it has made it as far as the warping board. Since it comes on a handy spool, I set up the bobbin winder directly opposite the warping board and used it as an improvised one-spool-rack. I had a few tangles and twists in the first bout of 12 ends, but as my hands got used to the pace — slow — the experience went quite smoothly. When I needed to stop to place my counting thread, I taped the loose end to a spare peg. Not sure that the thread is visible in the picture below, but you might just be able to see the little square of tape.
I only need 84 ends altogether, and they are staying on the warping board until I’m ready for them, i.e. after I have beamed the ground warp.
So much for the gold. That’s on the warping board, while the dust is everywhere else. The storage planning took a surprising leap forward at the weekend. I think it was a case of “when you have too much to do, reorganise the shelves instead”. The bookcase is no longer teetering on top of a storage box, but has moved to its own corner and is accommodating all sorts of things which were previously on the floor and continually tripping me up.
And I have added a big plastic box for keeping all the dobby lags and pegs together — previous containers were just not big enough. While over in the Corner Which Is No Longer Teetering, a second storage box has been added to the first. No additional buckets were needed here as the cardboard wine boxes — my storage choice for small bobbins of fine cotton — fit into the spaces perfectly.
Stuart added some shelves for books and magazines, and there is now enough accomodation to free up part of the dresser for cones of yarn (just visible on the left above). My yarn storage is still very eclectic: some are stored by colour, others by fibre and others by whether they are cones, skeins or something else. However, I seem to be able to find what I want most of the time, so I’ll leave it be for a while. The bears are still in the same general area, but to be honest I am not sure why they are in the loom room at all. The one on the left was made by me from a “make a jointed bear kit” and I am quite pleased that I did indeed end up with a working jointed bear, but she seems never to have moved out of the studio to a more fulfilling bear life. Perhaps she just loves being surrounded by textiles.