snatched moments

It’s the last week of teaching! After this, only the marking remains, along with responding to whatever cries of help are heard when the students realise they have got to sit an exam…

Given that I am off to yet another meeting this weekend, I have been trying to snatch time at the loom whenever I can. Our unseasonal heat wave has been helpful for this, since a salad dinner can be assembled so very quickly! I have finished the latest sampler using squares of silk and wool with a little bit of gold bling. At least, they were meant to be square… some are more square than others. It will be interesting to see what shapes they become after finishing.

I’ve just started the next piece. I reckoned I might be able to get away with using the Teeswater as well as the BFL if I kept the inlay fairly sparse and didn’t try to interlock the two yarns. We’ll see how it goes.

snatched moments” was posted by Cally on 29 March 2012 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Pat Foster

Interesting that some are more square than others. Did you count wefts or measure them or what? Pat

I counted (and ticked off!) groups of picks and measured to make sure I was beating to square. I may have slipped up but I think it’s more due to the irregular “character” of my handspun – so the ground cloth is square but the inlay isn’t. Could become very interesting off loom… though as it is wool, I’m hoping that blocking will sort it out.

the glittery square is so unexpected!( in a good design way)
    in awe at your counting picks.

3. Bonnie Inouye

The CW exhibit deadline has been extended. Perhaps you can still make something glittery and photograph it in time to enter. This looks very promising! I like the contrast between the different squares and between squares and background.
    Bonnie

4. Geodyne

Blocking often cures wooly ‘sins’.

I love how the BFL provides a visual link between the white silk and the glitzy gold.

5. Trapunto

Another beautiful photograph! It’s almost enough to make me want sheep. Almost.

6. Donatella

Bellissimo, bellissimo e ancora bellissimo!
    (I think my opinion is quite clear ;-))