slight sock addiction

I blame Julia Kehew. She blogged about her Kalajoki socks last year and I liked them so much that I knitted myself a pair for Christmas. But I liked them so much that I had to knit another pair, and I found the perfect yarn from Shilasdair when they came to the yarn fair at Perth in May. My new pair are knitted in an indigo-dyed blend of merino, angora, baby camel and cashmere — a veritable fibre zoo — and I am very happy with them. Or I was until I tried to take a photo and couldn’t find an angle which hid the cat hair I have already added to the mix…

Leaving aside the menagerie, I do like the way the variation in the dye adds to the watery effect of the waves.

slight sock addiction” was posted by Cally on 8 June 2012 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Michelle

Cally
    I love these. A friend tried to teach me to knit socks, but knitting really is beyond me, so I tried crocheting them. After doing one, I could not believe I had to do it all over again – so that was the end of my sock making adventure! I am so envious of you for being able to do them – they are fabulous!!
    Michelle

Those are fabulous! it is an addictive pattern – I’m already planning to make more for myself as well. The trick with the cat hair is to choose yarn that hides it, as I’ve learned from long experience!

Michelle, I know just what you mean! Someone at my Guild has promised to show me a trick for knitting two socks at the same time as an antidote to the doing-it-all-again problem.

Good idea, Julia, but my whole wardrobe was undermined when our black cats died and our new cats turned out to be white and ginger!

4. Sheila Carey

I thought that it was just a fact of life that everything hand knitted includes cat hair. 🙂 Those are gorgeous socks!

Love love love them. (But I first read, “Stock Addiction”. My bad…

What kind of stock, Meg? My first thought was “chicken” but perhaps stocks and shares… in yarn companies, presumably…

6. Kerstin

Cat hairs really add to *everything* – make warm things warmer, gives surface interest, can be a conversation opener…
    (No, of course I’m not biased, just because I have four… And besides: if you cuddle your black cat, wearing black clotes, the one white hair you didn’t know he had, will end up on you!)

7. Catherine Freeland

hello,
    You casually mentioned a Yarn event (past) in Perth, just when I’m feeling sad to be unable to go to Woolfest. I”m not ‘in the loop’ about such things, and wonder if you can tell me about it, or similar events where I can touch and see the yarn I’m buying.

I love your informative and inspiring web-site! Catherine

Hi Catherine – I have sent you an email with some suggestions, though I am not really very well-looped myself in this respect.

8. Alice in Richmond

Welcome to the Dark Side……they are lovely!

I once knew a person who played in an orchestra and would only own black pug dogs for the simple reason that the brown pug had hairs that were visible on her black outfits.

most handsome!