yarnfall!

On Friday I happened to learn that Shirley Pinder is downsizing her weaving business, which happens to be only a couple of hours away from me… I dashed off an email to Shirley before the incoming message had cooled! And so today I took a little road trip down to Selkirk — in glorious October sunshine, I’m glad to say — and did my bit to reduce Shirley’s stash of beautiful Italian yarns. (If you are in the area and want to make your own raid, then you’ll find Shirley’s contact details here*.)

The yarn she is offering at knock-down prices includes a 2/48 merino and a 2/64 merino/silk blend, each in many lovely colours which have been dyed especially for her designs over the years. These are quite a bit finer than I generally weave with, but there are so many close-but-not-the-same shades in her collection that they would be ideal for using double or triple. Blending colours this way is one of my favourite ways to make an interesting warp. And it also happens that I have been meditating on some ideas for using finer yarns as well, particularly in double weave. Apart from a few large cones of white, then, I mainly selected smaller amounts, but of lots of colours.

There was a dangerous moment when I learned that Shirley was having a scarf sale as well! But in the end I managed to come away with two boxes of yarn and two scarves and still be £3 under my budget — enough for a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit on the way home.

After I had unpacked, of course, I decided I didn’t want them on the (previously vacant) top shelf, so it meant rearranging things a wee bit… but on that score the timing could hardly be better, could it? I was also pleased to see that, even though her scarves are sold around the world, Shirley honours the ancient weaving custom of getting one’s husband to help lift boxes, weigh inventory and so on. I didn’t even have to put the boxes into the car. And, once I had brought the yarn back to Dundee, guess who carried it up to the studio?

Let it be recorded, however, that I did the unpacking and the rearranging. Nobody arranges my yarn but me.

*in answer to queries: yes, mail order is also possible for a minimum order of 5 kg plus postage.

yarnfall!” was posted by Cally on 8 Oct 2012 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Margreet

What a colour inspiration you now have around you in your studio!

2. Debbie K

Lucky you!

Oh, so envious about the size! I’ve never seen such thin wooly yarns in real life! But I thought you had you had sufficient scarfage! 😀

How can anyone have enough scarfage?! But only one is for me, the other is for a friend with a conveniently timed birthday. I get to choose which one to keep though…

• Meg in Nelson

What’s what I said until I read your post somewhere. I didn’t even know such an important word as scarfage until you educated me!

But seriously, I am SO SO SO utterly envious about the size and the colors. I went to check after I read and the skinniest Ihave is 2/28! Goodness, I might bother Doni to get some info on how I can get my hands on some AFTER I use up all my yarns in my stash in the next…. 10 years!

Guess I’m fickle and unreliable, then! Ah well. I meant to finish what I was doing and then start playing, but I couldn’t help myself… using three strands of different shades together as weft without even sampling!

What a wonderful addition to your stash! Fine (size) and fine (quality), indeed. Have a lovely time weaving with the new treasures!

BTW, I might want to weave another of your images in the “ice and reflections” series. May I have your permission to do so?

Certainly you may, Sandra. I’d be honoured. It was very exciting to see your work ‘for real’ at CW – especially the ballet shoes, as I remember all the effort that went into getting the sparkle just right!

5. Amy

Oh, what a fun day! And how wonderful to be able to look at the rainbow on your shelves. Beautiful!

6. Dot

I am so enjoying the sight of your shelves! They look fantastic with all those lovely colours. I hope you won’t mind disturbing the arrangement to take yarns off the shelves and weave with them.

ohhh i want some of those yarns! could she mail order?

The answer is yes – I have updated my post above, in case anyone else asks!

8. Charlotte Engstad

Beautiful colors and wonderful qualities, you were really lucky there! I’ve woven with 30/2 and 40/2, but never with anything finer.