back to over-twist

I had taken my blue warp off the loom to free it up for the taster day in February, and last week I finally got around to putting it back on – with floating selvedges this time. I had just enough left for a skinny pleated scarf, so that’s what I made. I wove about 6″ at each end using a balanced weft (2/48 merino) and then 4″ or so alternating this with the high twist wool, and the long middly bit was all high twist. I wove 1/3 and 3/1 twill, except for a couple of plain weave stripes at each end. And I forced myself to twist the fringe before I washed it even though I was dying to see how it turned out.

crinkly blue scarf

The pleating is pretty much along the lines of the twill blocks, but it isn’t precise and I love the liveliness of the variation in it.

crinkly blue scarf 3

I could not quite get the colours right in these photos. The dark blue is pretty much as you see it here, but the light blue actually has a slight tinge of lilac which is missing. But if I try and correct it, then I end up distorting the other blue so I’ve given up!

crinkly blue scarf 2

Actually, these are fun photos to play with. Because there are just blues, black and white, I can send the blues right round the spectrum into pink or orange without it looking completely weird.

imaginary pink scarf

imaginary orange scarf

I think I might make some of those… But right now it is time to put the hand-dyed greens onto the Megado while I write up my earlier purple project for the Designing Fabrics study group. When I have done my article, I will come back and blog about it. I seem to be skipping from here to there and all over the place at the moment. Well, perhaps not seem. I am skipping all over the place.

green warp

back to over-twist” was posted by Cally on 23 March 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Isabella

Lovely tactile-looking pieces, Cally. Is there a simply way of explaining what a floating selvedge is to a non-weaver (e.g. me)? BTW I totally identify the problems of trying to publish images an accurate colour. I have a camera that does not seem as accurate as my iPhone when recording colour. Colour correcting on the screen doesn’t always work out, as you described in this post.

Hmmm… well, since you are a textile pro, I’m assuming you know that the selvedge is the edge of the woven cloth, yes? A ‘floating selvedge’ is an extra warp thread added at the very edge of the cloth which has the following special characteristic: it isn’t attached to any of the shafts, so it is never raised or lowered like the rest of the warp – instead, it ‘floats’. In practice this means you can weave it in every time you throw the shuttle, no matter what pattern you are weaving. When things are prone to be a bit wibbly-wobbly, this can reduce the wibble-wobble.

(My iPhone doesn’t always pick up colour very well with the camera but it defintiely has the best quality screen of any device in the house! If I want to see whether a photo has come out accurately, I have to look at it on my phone…)

• Isabella

Aha. Good description – I understand the floating selvedge now. it was the word ‘floating’ that floored me, as if it were a separate thing. Thanks

2. Charlotte Engstad

The scarf is lovely, the pleats look like a fun technique to weave. When photographing colors, it’s often hard to get it right. I’ve learned that by using a grey card in the picture, the photo can be calibrated afterwards in Photoshop to give the exact color. This might be important in a webshop/brochure/catalogue. However I’ve not learned how to do the photoshop part yet.

• Isabella

Charlotte, thanks for the tip about using grey card. I will try it next time.

I second the grey card recommendation! Stuart has one which he has been using for ‘proper’ product photos, but I should really start using it too. We have shared out the photography learning curve by allocating the camera to S and the Photoshop to me. Easier to get started, but means we have no one person who understands the whole process…

3. Alice in Richmond

Since I am not weaving at the moment I am really enjoying what others are doing. and I LOVE these scarves. Blue, lilac, pink, gold black they are all lovely.

Skip away all you want.