going monochrome

No, not black and white — that’s for the TV sets of my childhood — but shades of a single colour. At the moment the loom is decked in shades of green…

all green

…a week ago it was shades of purple.

all purple

If you’ve followed my blog for any length of time then — as well as being thoroughly deserving of my heartfelt thanks and appreciation — you’ll probably have noticed that I don’t spend much time in the land of monochrome. I’m finding it quite a challenge. There is a strong temptation to throw in a pick or two of pink, black, turquoise, anything.

In other respects, though, I am enjoying the experiment. Purple and green are two of my favourite colours after all, and I am using them here to celebrate the colours of summer in Scotland as these designs are based on weather data. Right now our weather is not giving us a great deal of cause for celebration (and I reserve the right to leave the leaden grey of 2012’s rainclouds uncelebrated too) so I’m particularly glad to have something bright on the loom. Next up: purple and green at the same time. I can only do monochrome for so long, you know.

Haven’t had a cat picture in a while. Here is Phoebus, helping me with a photoshoot by beating the **** out of a piece of tissue paper.

photo shoot Phoebs 2

going monochrome” was posted by Cally on 28 March 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Dorothy Stewart

Hi Cally, You will guess that I would be so comfortable with those colours !
    Two shades of a colour is just how I like to be !

Good to be out of our comfort zones sometimes I suppose.

D

2. Heather

Beautiful colours! I especially like the green!

Very Spring-like colors! Can’t wait to see them together in one piece.

Mr. P is like Ms. Gracie here – she’s a real lioness with the tiny stuffed mice, but then turns timid around any real live opponent. Well, except for the tiny lizards she loves to drag into the house…they’re maybe an inch long (body) plus another 3/4-inch of tail, but you’d think they were Komodo dragons by the way she brags about ’em.

I wish Phoebs would stick to paper and stop bringing mice indoors! Not sure how I would feel about lizards…

4. Alice in Richmond

i love the single color weavings that you are doing. So sophisticated! And as you know, emerald is the “color of the year”. I want to paint my front door emerald so then I can believe I am entering the emerald city….

My Emperor has a fondness for baby bunnies. It makes me sick but he is so proud.

5. Charlotte Engstad

What a bright and lovely spring color! I’m in a monochrome phase too, although it’s red.
    Cheers, Charlote

6. Isabella

I was thinking about what you said about finding it hard to stick to weaving monochrome. I wonder if anyone has done research into people who thrive at the longterm planning most weaving demands. Is it a personality thing? I absolutely know I couldn’t do it, that weaving grows too slowly, that my head just doesn’t work that way.. ..maybe that’s why I admire weavers so much and love to look at and handle good weaving. I like the green you are working on, by the way, perhaps more than the purple. It’s just as well we are all made differently, I suppose. Bearing in mind the nonsense titles of some PhDs I daresay we could have fun composing a title for the PhD on ‘the character traits of a weaver.’ It would run to several lines and probably contain the words context, equivalence, contrastive and praxis. Sigh.

I’ve been pondering on what you say about the weaving personality… because it is partly the planning aspect which puts me off dyeing! Also the waiting. I am not good at waiting. I know quite a few people who say that they don’t like weaving because they find it too complicated, but I find it so much simpler than knitting, where you have to shape a thing at the same time as managing the colours and the pattern — in weaving you just do one thing at a time. Perhaps it is mainly about how we justify our preferences to ourselves? I like weaving so I find reasons to make that liking rational. There could be a PhD in that too.