new warp, new tricks

Last week was the week of the endless warp. I was hoping to bring you tales of a new warp and new experiments, but I never seemed to get there. Finally, on Friday I managed to beam this…

purple warp for lace

…and I’ll be threading it tomorrow. The plan is to weave some lace, but of course my design ideas have outstripped the technology as usual, and I’ve been devising some workarounds. Yet to be tested workarounds. I love that stage — the stage just before one has conclusively demonstrated that one’s ideas Simply Won’t Work so there is still hope! More on this to follow, unless I am too busy weeping into my tea.

I’ve been learning new tricks in Photoshop and have tarted up the photos on Seek & Adore so that the backgrounds are now dazzling white. I am amazed that one can do this while maintaining the colour of the non-white objects in the picture (and without faffing around with that dreadful lasso whatsit which is useless when your non-white objects have fringes). Anyway, for an extensive selection of photographic tips and tricks, including keeping your backgrounds starkly white, I heartily recommend Tabletop Studio, which I intend to explore more fully as we progress this photography lark. Having said that, I am really not keen on the whiter-than-white look, although I know it is the accepted norm. In print it is OK, but backlit on a screen I find it quite aggressive on the eye.

In other learnings, I have found that using the fine yarns I bought in October has caused me gradually to adapt my warp-beaming process and I think I am reaching a system that I’m happy with. I’m plotting a trapeze, but at the moment have improvised, as you do, with a freestanding wardrobe rail:

hanging rail

The rail is an old and rather shoggly item, and I was concerned that one crank of the warp beam might pull the whole thing down, but we all stayed upright throughout. In addition to their complicated journey around the loom and the rail these yarns need only the lightest of weights to keep a sufficient tension. I have been adding one S-hook to each bout and leaving it at that. One of these days I shall try and make up a list of the things I am doing a bit differently — and take some process photos too. Promises, promises.

new warp, new tricks” was posted by Cally on 4 March 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Dorothy Stewart

Thanks for the link to tabletop studio !!

My theory is that since a well-wound warp is the key to a well-woven cloth, *anything* one can do to improve the warp winding process is worth the effort! Can’t wait to see what you’ll weave on that gorgeous purple warp.

S hooks are miraculous! ask me how i know.

4. Charlotte Engstad

The warp has a lovely color, I’m looking forward to what you are going to do with it! And thanks for sharing the link to the photo site 🙂

5. Trapunto

I’m completely inspired by your clothes rail trapeze! I’m now off to look around the house for something that might function the same way. Getting a good drop for the weights while I’m beaming my table loom had me stumped, but if I go over rather than under the breast beam, then up…. Thanks a million! And very timely, the back end of my current warp just came in sight round the warp beam this morning.

6. Kaz Madigan

Fantastic post and blog Cally. I’m inspired to get off the computer and out to the looms. Really beautiful work. Thanks for the link to weave waves too. http://onviewonline.craftscouncil.org.uk/weavewaves/
    Neki how are S hooks miraculous? I’m intrigued…..

You’re welcome – I thought you would appreciate it!

7. Laurie

Well done!!! I had a friend build me a trapeze from the plan in Kati Meek’s book. It’s a bit fiddly, but I find that it works beautifully. It just makes my tiny work room really cramped when it’s up, but it’s only temporary. I like your ingenuity!