shame about the colour

Since I am back on the networked treadling I decided it was time to take Dot’s advice and buy a pair of fingerless cycling gloves. In fact, I only need one glove: the right hand one. It is to protect my hand from blistering when I am winding back the dobby chain.

cycling glove

cycling glove 2

Yup, that’s a barbie-pink cycling glove. Believe me, I tried on every non-pink pair they had in the shop — i.e. all the men’s gloves — and found some I liked very much, at least with regard to the placing of the protective pads on the palm.

However, although the men’s gloves generally fitted my palms very well, my fingers turned out to be too short for the fingerless bits. Because of course they aren’t fingerless at all, are they? They have those stubby little fingery bits (is there a name for those?) and the ones designed for long manly fingers are too long for me — I wasn’t at all convinced I would be able to bend my fingers well enough to handle the shuttle.

I spent considerable time investigating the construction to see whether I could shorten those fingery bits without the whole thing unravelling, but in the end yielded to the inevitable. So I get to clothe my delicate ladylike fingers in the one and only pair of women’s cycling gloves: the pink ones. I made my futile protest over colour-stereotyping at the cash desk, but handed over my cash anyway. I need them and, after all, who’s going to see them?

You won’t tell anyone, will you?

Clarification! For those who missed my earlier post, let me make clear that there is nothing ‘wrong’ with my loom or its dobby mechanism. It’s just that I have decided to use it in a particular way… and that has particular consequences. In this case, modifying the weaver appears to be a simpler solution than modifying the loom. For now, anyway.

shame about the colour” was posted by Cally on 23 June 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Sue T.

Those are going to be really hard to lose in your studio!

That’s positive thinking, thanks!

2. Al-San Ferderber

I don’t know what this means – “protect my hand from blistering when I am winding back the dobby chain.”
    What kind of loom are you using?

If you click on the link to “Dot’s advice” and look at the post above her comment, you will see the mechanism I’m referring to and a description of the problem that occurs.

3. Dianne

Have you got some fabric paints (or boot polish!) or even sharpie pens? http://alisaburke.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/fashion-friday-sharpie-dye.html
    I think I’d be thinking of pliers or clamps that would grip the nut making leverage easier; maybe a trip to a hardware store. anything to stop blisters.

I’d be doing my loom a disservice to say that this is difficult to do… The knob which manually controls the dobby chain is well positioned and very easy to turn. The only problem is that if one persists in using it repeatedly over yards and yards of weaving, as I do, then the tooled edge becomes less of a blessing than intended!

4. marion

O but they are not ‘girly’ pink, it’s kind of tough pink.
    But not having a choice in colour exept for pink, for a woman cyclist is very silly, not to mention stupid!

5. Dot

Good to know it works and these will save your hands!

Bad about the lack of colour choice.

6. Meg

Not-go-be-missed color, Cally, in a box of misc weaving tools. And perhaps you will find a way to reuse the other glove – like kitty socks??