what became of the bucket

So I started with my bucket of yarn and the intention to make cloth suitable for a carpet bag. I used most of my assorted colours of yarn to make a stripey warp, and for the weft I had some dark brown…

wool on loom

…and some even darker green. I am not sure ‘green’ is really the right word as there is quite a lot going on in it,

wool on loom with darker weft

but it definitely gave me a feeling of dark-green-ness. I didn’t mix the two colours up together but just wove with the brown until I ran out, then wove with the green until I ran out. Which was just as the apron rod was about to peek over the back beam.

last little bit

I then used a few odds and ends of the warp yarns to weave the last little bit, enjoying that thrill you get when you’re weaving yardage to be fulled and don’t have to finish off the ends at the selvedges.

last little bit with colours

On Sunday we had beautiful weather and nowhere we needed to be. So I washed the web in a sink of hand-hot water and woolite, squeezed out as much of the excess water as I could and then took the cloth, a table and a chair out into the garden for a one-woman waulking.


(No, I didn’t sing, I listened to TMS and the thrilling end of the thrilling first test. Thanks for that, Jimmy Anderson and Brad Haddin!) As I had failed to invite a posse of friends round to share the process, I just worked my along the cloth and back again until I thought I didn’t want it to get any smaller. Then I laid it out flat to dry indoors — I was going to block it, but then I just didn’t. I went and had a beer in the garden instead.

Much pressing has since taken place and I am really happy with how it has turned out.  The difference between the two wefts is now much less pronounced. One of these is brown and one is green — if you can’t guess then take a look at the file names.

finished wool brown weft finished wool green weft

There is actually a very clear line where I switched from one to the other, but my photo of it came out completely blurred. I have plenty for a bag in each colour, should I wish to make more than one attempt. The fine turquoise yarn is a worsted so it hasn’t felted but is well trapped by the woollen yarns. It is not quite as visible as I had hoped, though, so perhaps after all it wasn’t such a good idea to have the finer yarn… but as I didn’t have enough of the original it wasn’t a serious option.

There is one little bit where I haven’t managed the fulling perfectly evenly and you can see the bulge at the edges.

wide part of wool

At which point I realise that stripes were a poor choice for this experiment! I will either have to sort that out or, since it is near the end, ignore that bit and cut my bag from the straight parts. I know which way my thoughts are tending.

And the bucket now looks like this:

the bucket after

Full marks for the stash-busting part of the assignment, Cally.

what became of the bucket” was posted by Cally on 17 July 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

Creative Commons License

4 Responses

  1. Laura
    | Reply

    You can always wet it out again and full that bulgy bit some more…


  2. Sandra Rude
    | Reply

    OTOH, bags always have something in them, causing bulges for other reasons. Unless it makes seaming the parts together difficult, you might not need to do anything . (You can tell which side of the laziness fence I’m on.)

  3. neki rivera
    | Reply

    agree w sandra.
    the bulge would also give it some additional “give” when loading the bag w stuff.

  4. Alice in Richmond
    | Reply

    Excellent experiment! I love stripes. And bags. And experiments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.