a measure of tragedy

Look what happened in the studio today:

20131119-223141.jpg

My faithful tape measure – an 18th birthday present from my parents* no less – has these last few years resided chiefly over the breast beam of one loom or another. Alas, today it became entangled with the apron rod and I, all unnoticing, advanced the warp too sharply and poor tape measure was rent asunder.

An era has ended.

*Just in case that sounds a bit weird, I should perhaps mention that they also gave me a box full of other sewing essentials and a sewing machine of my very own.

a measure of tragedy” was posted by Cally on 19 Nov 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Tamie Herridge

That’s really sad. How about a simple zig zag stitch to put it back together. Do you still have the sewing machine?

2. Laurie

That’s very sad, Cally. I know how dear some of the hand tools we use can become to us, especially when they have that added sentimental value. How lovely that you got these many years of constant use from it. It served you well.

3. Margreet

I would definitely have a go at rescuing it..

4. Isabella

Oh. That’s sad. All cut short at the 19 cm mark. Will everything be done half measures from now on? (I know you are too far away to hit me)..

I’m discovering that a 19 cm tape measure is actually quite handy! And what you can’t tell from the picture is that the other side of the tape is also numbered, from the opposite end. So maybe I have doubled my measuring power rather than halved it…?

The tape measure hanging on my loom has been repaired with sticky tape at least 3 times. I don’t think there’s *any* cloth for which an error of fractions of mm will make any real difference. A new tape measure will never give you the peace and satisfaction the old one does.

I was thinking of applying some clear vinyl floor tape we have about the place, but I’m finding I quite like having two tape measures instead of one! Who would have thought?

6. Alice in Richmond

Oh no! How sad to lose an old friend!

BTW that is exactly what I received at 18!! The machine is still going strong!

Mine is too! Although my mother has since given me one of her cast-offs, an absolutely fantastic Bernina, which is my favourite to sew with now.