new thing

Tool or toy? Either way, it is enormous.

warping mill

No, I couldn’t get far enough away to get it all in, and yes, it does rather dwarf the loom. I mentioned a while ago that a warping mill was high on my wishlist, but I had made temporary provision for longer warps by stacking up my warping boards. However, now that I need to accommodate small groups of weaving students all winding warps together, I have had to rearrange the boards to sit side by side.

warping mill and boards

It was time for a mill. It has taken a few months to organise it into place, but — as you can see from the position of the apron rod on the Delta — it has arrived just in time for the next warp! It seems likely that there is going to be quite a lot of yardage in my immediate future, so I’m going to have to get practising.

Oh, and you might have noticed the bust on the shelf behind loom and mill, wearing a grey t-shirt and a scarf. That is my prototype reflective scarf — I put it out for Open Studios (yes, I should have ironed it, but it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, OK?) and doubtless won’t get around to putting it away again for a few weeks… or months… I need to work on handling the yarn as it is tricky stuff, but the effect is just what I wanted. Below are a couple of pictures Stuart took on his phone: the one on the right is taken with a flash, to show how it looks when it is reflecting.

reflective scarf daylight reflective scarf flash

Love it.

new thing” was posted by Cally on 3 Nov 2013 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. Alison Daykin

Cally, it’s HUGE,

Yup! And it is ‘only’ the 3m version – not the biggest one.

2. marion

Wow, Cally,

how big is it? and which brand. I’m thinking about one too ๐Ÿ™‚

Itโ€™s the Toika 3m circumference, i.e. the middle one. The 4m one would simply have been too big, even in my new space. Iโ€™ll let you know how I get onโ€ฆ.!

3. Meg

Nice coat hanger. ๐Ÿ˜› Love the reflective scarf, though. Not just for fashion, but warmth for folks who have to work outside in the evenings would appreciate it as well. How does the yarn feel?

The reflective yarn is basically plastic, and it feels quite plasticky. That’s one of the reasons why I made it an off-centre stripe: so you can fold the scarf in half lengthwise and wear it reflective-side out, soft-side in. I don’t know whether this is typical man-behaviour in respect of scarves, but Stuart always folds his lengthwise whereas I just throw mine on anyhow. There is a finer version of the yarn which might be easier to use/wear so I am going to give that a try too.

• Meg

Plasticky… Hummmm…. Shall follow your experiments with interest.

4. Dot

I love the photos of the reflective yarn scarf! I like the weave design, but I’m not quite sure about a yarn that feels plasticky. I wear reflective clothing on our road after dark, it’s badly lit and short of pavement, so a scarf like this could be useful for me.

5. Alice in Richmond

I love my warping mill….saves my shoulders from much strain even on shortish warps.

I thought one time of making a hat with LED so I could see when walking my dog after dark, but got a headlamp instead. Your scarf is much more appealing than a neon yellow street employee vest!

nifty new toy! and the pincushion left my head reeling.

Three days later and I am still pondering the pincushion remark… Would you care to elaborate?

• neki rivera

nothing literary,butt literal.the one on the castle to the right of the photo. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Jane Deane

lovely mill! I;m going the other way – just bought myself a mini-mill from HWs, so I can do sample warps without getting the big one out – though big is a relative term compared to yours…..

8. Charlotte

The scarf is so nice! Anyone know where I could buy something similar?

I’m glad you like the scarf, Charlotte! I don’t have any for sale at the moment or know anyone else who is making this kind of piece, but I can weave one to order if you are interested.