Woolly digression

When you are doing too much, it is always worth adding one more thing, don’t you think? Especially when you just happen to feel like it. The Scottish Crannog Centre are having a day of weaving, spinning and dyeing this weekend and word reached me that they needed some woven samples. Just wee ones.

Lambswool warp, natural black Shetland weft. Plain weave, 2/1 twill and 2/2 twill. I have left them unfulled so that the structures can be seen clearly.

Things continue to be ‘interesting’ in the website department. A couple of people have pointed out issues with the new layout and I am trying to address those. I must say that the theme author, Ben Ritner of Kadence, is really helpful no matter how many times I pester him, but even he cannot compensate for my immense ignorance in this area. Latest change: if you didn’t realise there was a search box in the bar at the top of the page, I hope it is now more visible! Anyway, I have had to throw out the spam check on comments for now (it insists that the only way to get it to work is to uninstall something I don’t have installed…) but the spam seems to have quietened down so that’s OK. But no sooner had I got that sorted than the server went off on holiday, or that was the impression I had. Today it appears to be back in town, but who knows for how long?

Woolly digression” was posted by Cally on 18 Feb 2014 at http://callybooker.co.uk

1. isabellawhitworth.com

Hi Cally, Earthquake zone calling. I haven’t visited your bloggery for a while and have had a most intriguing time following up on your Firth of Tay notes and thoughts, along with the reference to the SIMD. I then followed the link to your 2012 post about the SIMD and was fascinated by your idea of representing it visually. It reminded me of two things. One was your explanation of the PhD thesis (methods, explanations, visual models) you described to me yonks ago in a JEC lunchtime. BTW, things have changed – we seem to work through lunch now…. The other was my attempt to get to grips with method ringing in bellringing, something that my number-panicking head just can’t seem to deal with at all. I started to look at the method as a piece of weaving and made a bit more sense out of it. It even looked quite pretty.
    Your FoT piece is fascinating, as are most examples of work where there is a strong direction and logic behind the creative process.

Did I really subject you to all that, and at lunchtime too? I hope it didn’t affect your digestion. Sorry to hear that there is no longer a lunch break, though I seem to remember that it was getting pretty squeezed. I think if I had submitted a piece of cloth instead of a thesis, I would now be finding fewer mistakes in it… Ah well.

• isabellawhitworth.com

Well, I don’t want to make your head swell, but occasionally when I am talking to someone who really ‘gets’ maths, and can talk about it to someone like me who doesn’t, I begin to think I might have got somewhere with it if only I’d had the right teacher. So I found your description rather interesting and it didn’t interfere with the processing of my trendy line-caught tuna, hydroponic sweetcorn and gravel-ground-gluten-free baguette. And before I am pilloried by the chairman I should explain, we do still take a JEC lunch break, but most people stay at the table and munch their own trendy baguettes – and find themselves involved in Journal conversation anyway.

2. Elaine from weaving

I would like to be able to touch those samples. I wove some of the samples for Barbara Miller and Marjorie Warren when they were working on their book and exhibit “Tracing Our Threads: The Kilbarchan Weaving Project.” Weaving those pieces was a great way to touch our weaving history.
    If links are allowed, here’s something about the exhibit

How exciting to be involved in that project! I have visited Kilbarchan several times and have a copy of the book.

3. Kerstin

Yes, I see it now! (the search box)