Of course the huck sampling rapidly ran out of control again. This is partly because I am very good at thinking one thing and pegging something entirely different, which then leads on to another train of thought… and so on. However, the result is that I have raced through my warp – there’s about a metre left, or a bit less – playing with shapes more than with structure, which was a bit naughty.
I mentioned only being able to get two blocks on 16 shafts. This is a limitation. However, the individual units can be swapped as mini-blocks too, and the advantage of the three-unit threading…
…which I’m using is that the units are in point order: B-A-B-C-D-C-B-A-B
So I can do this.
Those diamonds are plain weave on the face but there is lace on the reverse, and it led me to several different configurations of ‘swapped ends’ – see where the blue lines criss cross on the grey shape? One of the things I like most about this structure is the ease of switching pattern ends independently of tabby ends, as in this earlier example. However, I don’t seem to have photos of the floatier iterations. Or rather, I am sure I took them, but am having difficulty finding them again… The PC has decided all of a sudden to disown the iPad, so it treats it as a new device every time I plug it in which is proving to be a bit of a pain. On the plus side, you have been spared several screens-full of triangular variations.
As I am running out of warp, the next step is to make another one. This time I am planning to use some yarn that I would be likely to use for the ‘real thing’ once I get going. However, I am weighing up two options and dithering between them. The extent of my dithering is quite severe, and I realise that this is always the area where I have the greatest difficulty in decision-making in spite of obsessive sampling! It’s not that I can’t settle on a ‘good yarn for this project’, but that there are so many good yarns I find it hard to choose one set of characteristics over another.