I am very pleased with how this piece has turned out. It combines two of this summer’s new skills: painting a warp chain with inks made from natural dyes and using a supplementary warp to weave turned summer and winter.
The ground warp and weft are undyed baby alpaca, and the pattern warp is a 50/50 blend of BFL and silk. The pattern itself is part of my play with randomness: every row displays one roll of a die.
Things I am pleased about include: the colours and the sheen of the supplentary warp against the ground cloth; that I managed the tension of the pattern warp and the packing on the cloth beam, so that the finished article is a rectangle; and that I only had a couple of skips to repair on the back when I took it off the loom (I wove it with the majority of the pattern warp on the back).
The only thing that I am not delighted with is the quality of my selvedges. They looked lovely on the loom but are a bit erratic in the finished state, which suggests to me that my weft tension was also a bit erratic. Not very surprising perhaps, given my focus on other things, but I’d like to do better! And of course, I haven’t yet added freeform to the mix.